Johnny and the Vampires in His Life

Johnny with bubbles scanThe press said that Johnny “had it all.” And so he did. Unfortunately, “having it all” means having the bad parts of life as well as the good, not an ideal state of affairs for a person who trusts everyone.

In my experience, if you trust everyone, you will be right 80% of the time. The heartaches and ulcers and sleepless nights come from the other 20%. These other 20% include vampire personalities who do not or will not produce anything on their own, and so need to lead their parasitic existence living off of whatever productive individual they can attach themselves to — you, for instance — and so begin to pleasantly or not-so pleasantly suck your life and your sanity away, while they engorge themselves on your patience, your understanding nature, your money, your good name, your skills, your contacts, your resources, your credibility, your aspirations and any joyful future you thought you had.

They Specialize in Being Easily Offended

These people, specialize in being easily offended. Nothing is ever their fault — it’s all been done to them. So one tends to walk on eggshells around them. Any slightest slight becomes magnified to the nuclear power, so that, even though they are a distinct minority in your life, they dominate your thoughts and concerns and worries to the point of exasperation or apathy.

Johnny in the last years of his life was unfortunate enough to get entangled with three such people, individuals whose greed and sense of entitlement canceled out any feelings of love or decency.  That entanglement sealed Johnny’s doom no less than that motorcycle ride that traumatized his brain that October midnight in 2011.  Yes, he “had it all.”

Johnny’s story, then, is also a cautionary tale to any young Mozarts as they begin to flex and realize their artistic powers as it is the artists and the productive people in the world who attract these vampire types. Johnny would want to help in that way. He loved helping other artists in whatever way he could. (Even in prison, he met a fine artist whose work he had known. He urged me to set aside some money to purchase a painting from the man, which I did.)

Possibly, if you are an artist or any productive person who seeks to cause positive change, you may recall a brush or two you may have had with a vampire type.   Some are very good at what they do, unfortunately.

This entry was posted in The Johnny We Knew and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s